This Model LED Public Lighting Specification, now in its second edition, is intended to help accelerate the adoption of LEDs in public lighting projects by assisting buyers, vendors, contractors, funders and advisors to more confidently, robustly, efficiently and economically engage in procurement of LEDs.
The broader objective in accelerating the adoption of LEDs in public lighting is to help lighting owners reduce the total costs of operating public lighting while providing a variety of other safety, social and environmental benefits that LEDs can deliver.
This updated specification incorporates substantive recent changes to AS/NZS 1158 and other standards. It also incorporates industry developments that help those wanting to procure smart LEDs able to accommodate smart controls and support other smart city activities.
The aim of this updated model specification is to be:
- Technically robust and current;
- Compatible with AS/NZS standards and specifications while filing in gaps where AS/NZS guidance does not exist or is not suitably current;
- Written concisely in easy to understand language;
- Applicable to large and small projects in both urban and rural application;
- Structured to include a range of selectable options to be chosen by the user to deliver a customised specification meeting their needs; and
- Freely available to reduce barriers to LED uptake and dramatically increase their likely procurement and application.